There is no shortage of advice on moving. There are books devoted to the subject, ideas on the internet and most moving companies offer tips. But there's nothing like benefiting from the wisdom of those who have gone before you. As a leading local and long distance moving company in Harrisonburg Virginia, we know you have concerns and questions about the moving process. We have added some of the smaller and often overlooked 'tips' and checklist on moving to help with the moving process.
We at Kay Newland Moving hope to make your relocation an enjoyable and exciting experience. Please call or contact us with any questions or concerns.
- You are likely to arrive at your new home ahead of your shipment. Take this time to look things over and to ensure your utilities have been connected.
- Check appliances and systems to ensure all are working properly, and arrange for repairs if necessary.
- Verify that your mail is being delivered to your new address and pick up any mail being held.
- Consider drawing out your new floor plan and decide where you want furniture and appliances placed.
- Plan to be present when Kay Newland Moving delivers your shipment. Show the driver where you want the equipment parked and sign for delivery. If you are unable to do this, work closely with a friend or representative to accept your shipment.
- Keep all receipts and documentation in your move file and store the file in a safe place. Be sure to include your Bill of Lading and delivery receipt. You'll be glad to have everything in one place at tax time.
- Drivers license - Often overlooked, ensure to get a new one to reflect your new address.
- Create a "move file" to keep track of estimates, receipts and other important information.
- Check with the IRS for possible tax deductions – including moving expenses.
- Start compiling medical and dental records – including prescriptions and shot records. Ask your doctors if they can refer you to a care provider in your new city.
- Arrange to have school records transferred to your children's new school district and/or daycare.
- Confirm travel arrangements for pets and family.
- Dispose of flammables, corrosives and poisons.
- Have your automobile(s) serviced.
- Prepare auto registration to be transferred.
- Schedule disconnection of all utility services at your old home, and connection of them at your new one. Be sure to disconnect the day after you leave and connect the day before you arrive. If you have "last month" deposits with services, such as the water or gas company, request your refund.
- Make travel arrangements for your pets. Don’t forget to include necessary medical and immunization records.
This website supports the following browsers:
IE: 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 7.0, 8.0 Update to IE 8.0
Firefox: 3.0.x, 3.5.x, 3.6.x Upgrade to Firefox 3.6.3
AOL: 6.0, 9.0, 9.1, 9.5 Upgrade to AOL 9.5
Chrome: 1.x.xxx, 2.x.xxx, 3.x.xxx, 4.x.xxx, 5.x.xxx Upgrade Chrome
Safari: 3.2.3, 3.1.1, 4.0 Upgrade to Safari 4